Thursday, July 16, 2009

Staff Bios-- Laura

Name: Laura Crosby


Major and/or career goals?
English/Creative Writing
I'd love to work in Editorial for a publishing house or any sort of print/online media publishing/editing role.


What are you involved in outside of PRiSM?
IDEA, Circle K, AWS. I also work at the Shriver Information Center.

What do you think is the best thing about Miami or the Oxford Community?
I very much value the way our beautiful campus spawns inspiration and creativity within myself.

Favourite genre?
I don't believe I play favorites towards any particular genre. I'll admit I am not a fan of thrillers, murder mysteries, or any sort of science fiction. Also, I'll fess up: I am such a sucker for Chick Lit (i.e. Sophie Kinsella, Meg Cabot, Lauren Weisberger, etc) and (ironically) angry, feminist manifestos.

Favourite author?
DeLillo, Salinger, or Hemingway, I can't decide.

Annoyed by spelling favourite the British way?
My spell checker says it's spelled wrong - and words that annoy my spell checker generally annoy me!

What do you look for in a good story (poem, essay, etc)?
I'm picky. I want to be blown away. But, at a basic level - (a) I do not want to see spelling or grammar mistakes (b) I want to see a significant amount of time and thought behind the piece (c) I want a piece that will force me to keep thinking about it, even after I've finished reading.

What else do you want people to know about you?
I'm very excited to meet and get to know everyone new to PRiSM - so, if you have questions for me, just ask and I'd be happy to chat! Feel free to shoot me an email at crosbylm@muohio.edu!

Any other words of wisdom?
As a number of my English professors here at Miami have told me, "We can't all be Emily Dickensons." In other words, we can't all have our writings published and widely praised posthumously, as Dickenson has - instead, most great writers become great because of their perseverance and eventual success in the submission process! Don't be afraid to put yourself out there - give submitting to PRiSM a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment