Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Staff Bios--Lorraine

Name: Lorraine Boissoneault

Major and/or career goals? International Studies and Journalism, and I would love to be a professional explorer/writer ... but I'm not sure that's actually a job.

What are you involved in outside of PRiSM? The Chinese American Cultural Association, International Students Organization, the Howe Writing Center, the Petting Zoo Goats and whatever else I can make time in my schedule for

What do you think is the best thing about Miami or the Oxford Community? As many have already said, I love the beauty of our campus (when it's not the middle of winter). I can find inspiration in a walk through the paths on Western and the community is still big enough that I never run out of things to do.

Favourite genre? Literary fiction, fantasy, just about anything that is well written.

Favourite author? Charles de Lint

Annoyed by spelling favourite the British way? Not particularly

What do you look for in a good story (poem, essay, etc)? I want to be drawn in, and I also want to have a connection with the characters. If they don't feel real, then the story isn't worth reading. I also like to see experimentation with the English language and the structure of poems or stories.

What else do you want people to know about you? I'm always up for discussions on favorite books or authors or anything that has to do with writing. Buy me a cup of Jasmine green tea, and I'll be your personal editor for a day.

Any other words of wisdom? When you think you've written something that's good, read it again and make it better. I don't believe any piece of writing is ever truly finished. It just comes to the point where you can't think of anything else to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment